M. Musheghyants
1880 - 1890s
Studio Mushegyants was one of the largest photographic establishments in Kars at the end of the 19th century. The studio’s main branch was in Alexandrapol (currently Gyumri), which was renamed after Elisaveta Gavrilova Musheghyan, at the turn of the 20th century. These two photographers were undoubtedly related either through blood or marriage. Both E. G. Musheghyan's and M. Musheghyants’ studio backstamps have the same promotional claim, namely, the official commendation from the Russian Grand Duke Mikhail Nikolaev. Musheghyan's pavilion in Kars specialised exclusively in producing portraits as works made in other genres are not known to us. Despite their purely conventional, craftsman-like qualities, these photographs have significant historical value as they represent the Armenian, Greek and Russian residents of Kars, who were deported during and soon after the Armenian Genocide.
Nationality
Armenian
Region
Armenia, Russian Empire
City
Kars, Alexandrapol (Gyumri)
Studio
Musheghyants
Activity
studio
Media
analogue photography
Collections
Lusadaran Armenian Photography Foundation, Yerevan; Museum of Folk Architecture and Urban Culture, Gyumri; National History Museum of Armenia, Yerevan